Family Law Services
We are a full-service family law practice offering trusted help in the following areas:
- Divorce - Wisconsin is a no-fault divorce state, which means you don't have to prove a reason to get a divorce, but having a lawyer can help you through the legal process.
- Collaborative Divorce - Some divorces can be settled through negotiations and mediation rather than through in-court litigation.
- Legal Separations - The process for legal separations are handled similarly to divorce, but the end result is the individuals' finances are managed separately and spousal/child support is availble. Legal separations can be reversed if the marriage is later reconciled.
- Annulment - Annulments are used in certain circumstances to erase/cancel a marriage that was proven to not be valid initially.
- Child Support - Each parent is obligated to support their children financially. The decision of child support takes into account timeshare, child(ren)'s needs and each parent's income.
- Child Support Modifications - Changes in a parent's income, housing situation or the needs of the child, could warrant a temporary or permanent change to the Child Support Agreement.
- Custody Placement - There are several options available when deciding custody and visitation rights. Having a lawyer by your side will help ensure that the "child's best interests" are properly explained and determined.
- CHIPS / JIPS - Children and juveniles deserve a safe home environment; if that changes, there is a system in place to protect them and help resolve the issues without a trial. We will work with you to ensure the proper procedures are followed.
- Grandparents Rights - Usually custody disputes involve solely the parents, but in certain cases grandparents have rights to visitation and custody when it is in the best interest of the child(ren).
- Termination of Parental Rights - A parent can lose the right to make decisions for their child, due to several reasons, including neglect, abuse, abandoment, other law violations, etc.
- Guardianships - A guardian is a person that is able to make legal, financial and other decisions for a person that is not able to do so for themselves,
- Paternity - In some situations, paternity needs to be legally established in order to enforce child support, inheritance matters, and custody cases.
- Restraining Orders - Restraining orders are judicial orders issued by the court to protect an individual from domestic abuse or harassment.
- Adoptions - Each adoption situation is unique and have their own legal hurdles to clear. An experienced attorney can help the process go faster and smoother by taking it one step at a time.
- Mediation Services - Attorney O'Connor offers mediation services to those who wish to avoid formal and costly litigation at the onset of a disagreement, such as divorce or custody disputes.
Family law issues are very sensitive and personal to people. O'Connor Law Offices understands and realizes this means clearly explaining legal rights, and providing all available options to clients is of the utmost importance. Schedule a free consultation with us to discuss your situation and questions and determine your best course of action to attain a favorable outcome from your family law case.
O'Connor Law Offices has years of experience in the Wisconsin and Illinois family court systems. We will work with you to ensure that your rights and best interests are taken care of. Some cases are able to be resolved outside of the courtroom. Attorney O'Connor is a Wisconsin State Certified Mediator in Divorce and Child Custody Cases which can help in those cases to alleviate the stress and conflict that can occur in longer court cases.